B&FRHT (Registered no: 11668316) Garth Celyn, Penrhyndeudraeth, Wales, LL48 6RF


The approach to Bala Junction from Bala. The line to the right was the bi-directional passenger line and the one to the left was the relief line. This was used mainly for goods as at led directly into the goods yard at Bala.GWR 517 class No539 heading a train of four and six-wheeled coaches waits at Bala’s down platform. The original signal box can be seen on the opposite platform, which closed in 1923 and was turned into the mess room, along with the ornate up waiting shelter. A horse drawn dray collects milk churns whilst the omnibus carried passengers to the town centre.
The original signal box on the down platformThe view towards the goods yard and Bala Junction. The signal on the right carries a route indicator box for access to the yard, this was later replaced later by a standard starter signal
The Up home signal for Bala was part of the original signalling supplied by McKenzie & Holland and weas at one time just the single arm post but was later augmented with the addition by the GWR of the bracket signal for trains entering the down platform.
The GWR down starter signal at Arenig. The post is fitted with a centre pivot shunting signal used at restricted locationsCwm Prysor approach from Arenig. The box is locked out and both home signals are in the off position. The signal box can be seen at the Trawsfynydd end of the down side platform along with the loop which was installed to break up the long section between Arenig-Trawsfynydd to help when troop trains need to use the military camp station. The old Bala-Trawsfynydd road can be seen going over the hill to the left of the photographTrawsfynydd down distant signal supplied by McKenzie & Holland to the GWR for the opening of the Bala & Festiniog Railway. Bwlchgwyn farm bridge can be seen in the background. This signal lasted until the very end of services on the line
The interior of Trawsfynydd signal box with two members of staff standing next to the tablet machine for the section to Festiniog. The gentleman on the right holds a pouch containing the tablet for the section to Cwm Prysor. These can be seen being exchanged by the fireman and signalman on the Trawsfynydd station page. The sign attached to the gable end lists the Telegraph Signalling Bell CodesThe starter bracket signal giving access to the Military camp platforms from the station and the main line to Festiniog. This was awkward to see by drivers and was later replaced by a sinal on the end of the down platform. The lines in the foreground are the Up Main and Down Loop. The line behind the signal is a headshunt for the Military Camp platforms. The buildings and fence along with the freshly turned ground show this to be shortly after the Camp station was built, 1911
Four ‘Presflo’ wagons occupy the platforms in the late 1950’s. Each signal gave access to either the Up Main, Down Loop or Headshunt, as read from right to left for the viewer. The signal behind the fencing was the Trawsfynydd Up home SignalMaentwrog Road Signal Box that never was. The formation here was widened at one time to install a loop but this never came about. The small box operated access to the goods yard on the opposite side of the road bridge to Festiniog which was at the end of the Up side platformFestiniog Up Home signal was a tubular steel structure at the point where the line changes from 1 in 50 to level through the station. The line has closed and all wires removed from the signals but apart from that the whole of the infrastructure remains
The unusual concrete Up Starter at Festiniog. A Wickham trolley stands in the platform, a change from a warmed through Pannier tank from BlaenauThe face of the starter showing well the lightening holes of the post. A very grubby pannier tank on two coach train from Maentwrog pulls into the station on a down trip. The running in board was located off the platform end here due to a lack of space. This signal post is still in place on site at Ffestiniog.
Manod station looking toward Blaenau Festiniog shortly before closure with a single coal wagon in the yard. The small hut covering the ground frame for the siding has started to be stripped of its planking alreadyTan-Y-Manod locomotive shed yard can be seen over to the right of this early view of Tabernacle. The back of signal box that once stood controlling the yard can be seen highlighted by the sun along with the incline winding house above the yard that supplied wagons from Craig-Ddu quarry. This narrow-gauge line then crossed the road to Festiniog to the bottom the main series of inclines that can still be seen leading up the hillside towards the quarry to this dayThe approach to Blaenau Ffestiniog seen from Glynllifon Street Road bridge. The nearest signal controlled the approach to Cwmbowydd Level crossing for trains leaving Blaenau whilst the three-bracket signal contolled access to the station area, the right arm controlling the platform line, the middle arm the loop and the left hand arm the goods yard.
A closer view of the three-bracket arm signal showing the clamps and counterweights. The bankside was excavated to give room for the signal to extend sideways and also to allow the arm to drop into the clear positionA view of the Blaenau Ffestiong approach after closure and removal of the signal heads and telegraph wires. The post on the right once held the box for the telephone for communication between the driver and signalman should his train be held for any reason