2.1 Purpose of the Strategic plan
This Strategic Plan has been developed by Bala & Ffestiniog Railway Heritage Trust (“the Trust”).
It provides an overview of our plans to raise funds for the acquisition, restoration and development of the mothballed section of line between Blaneau Ffestiniog and Trawsfynydd Lake Halt. It also is intended to be a comprehensive briefing for any interested stakeholders in how we intend to restore the line but also in what our long term plans for the line are.
For more details about us you can visit http://www.balaffest.org.uk
2.2 The Bala & Ffestiniog Railway Heritage Trust
To restore to operational order the mothballed section of line between Blaenau Ffestiniog and Trawsfynydd Lake Halt, create a visual and interactive experience that tells the history of the railway line between Bala and Ffestiniog.
To create a heritage railway company for everyone that preserves the history and the skills of the
– To provide a sustainable base for both our and others collections of steam and diesel locomotives as well as any related rolling stock
– To develop a heritage railway that makes a positive economic contribution to local tourism thereby guaranteeing a sustainable future.
To achieve this mission we have identified nine elements that will be fundamental to a successful delivery, which are:
• Build relationships with internal and external partners
• Build relationships with the local community
• Retain and build our workforce, both volunteers and paid staff
• Develop the heritage and educational aspects of the railway
• Develop systems to ensure safe operation of the railway
• Restore, renew and maintain the infrastructure and property.
• Enhance our locomotives and rolling stock (when operational)
• Increase passenger service revenue (when operational)
Our Progress and achievements
Small but significant steps have already taken place. A new effective committee has been elected, some of whom have been heavily involved in the production of this document. The committee has worked hard to put the essential elements in place including:
1) A stable, solvent financial base that includes new banking facilities,
2) Formation of a new Limited Company to provide a formal legal structure;
3) Development of a Strategic vision that can be shared with future partners and stakeholders;
4) Building the profile of the Trust and its networks through registration with the Heritage Railway Association
An early success has seen one of the members acquire three permanent way trolleys and has granted their use to the Trust on the condition that the trust maintain the trolleys in full working order. The restoration of the trolleys has commenced so that they are ready to assist with the restoration of the line to working order once written permission and an agreement is obtained to do so.